Focus DL by NeuroScience Inc. contains the precursor to PEA, a neuromodulator important for attention and cognition. A class of neurotransmitters responsible for many functions in the nervous and endocrine systems. Catecholamines play an important role in mood, energy, memory, attention, and cognition.
PEA as a neuromodulator
Trace amines, like PEA, are similar in structure to neurotransmitters and are involved in the regulation of dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin.
- As no individual neurons exclusively utilize PEA, it is consider as a neuro-modulator.
- The trace amine associated receptor (TAAR) functions to inhibit the re-uptake of the catecholamines dopamine and norepinephrine in vitro.
- Activation of TAAR by PEA allows these neurotransmitters to remain in the synapse, leading to increased concentrations of catecholamines.
Catecholamines from the prefrontal cortex control multiple cognitive functions including attention, impulse control, and memory.
The science behind the symptoms
A cohort study of pediatric subjects with focus concerns had significantly lower PEA levels when compared to the control group (p<0.05).
- There was a 73% difference in urinary PEA levels in the control subjects when compared to the group with focus issues.
- Another double-blind study showed that daily use of 200mg of DL-phenylalanine for 30 days may improve mood.
- PEA is converted into the metabolite phenylacetic acid, a compound with similar natural effects to that of endorphins.
Focus DL contains amounts of DL-phenylalanine per serving that meet and exceed those used in this study. Looking for ingredients for energy and cognition?
Take 1-2 Focus DL capsules one to two times daily or as directed. Do not exceed suggested use. If you are pregnant or nursing, consult one of our health coach professionals before use.