Prenatal multivitamin/mineral capsules, provided by Douglas Laboratories, supply essential vitamins and minerals to help support maternal health and wellness during pregnancy.
This formula now includes Metafolin L-methyfolate and vitamin B12 as methylcobalamin, the bioavailable forms of vitamins that the body utilizes directly without need for a conversion process. An important carotenoid called lutein has also been added for its benefit to the developing baby.
Studies show that a high percentage of adults in North America and other developed countries eat less than the minimum daily allowance of 10 or more essential nutrients.
It is generally accepted that pregnant and breastfeeding women should supplement a healthy diet with a variety of essential vitamins and minerals to ensure adequate intake for both mother and child.
Prenatal contains Metafolin, a patented, natural form of (6S) 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF). L- methylfolate is the naturally occurring, predominant form of folate commonly found in cells and is essential for a developing fetus, as it participates as a cofactor in a reaction that involves the remethylation of homocysteine to methionine.
Unlike synthetic folic acid, L-methylfolate can be used directly by the body, without the need for an additional conversion via the enzyme (5,10 methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR)).
In certain populations, the body’s ability to convert folic acid to 5-MTHF by use of this enzyme may be compromised due to genetic differences. Metafolin contains only the S isomer of 5-MTHF and has been shown to be the only form of folate to be able to cross the blood-brain barrier.
Lutein is an important antioxidant that helps protect cells from oxidative damage, and is only available through dietary sources such as colored fruits and vegetables. This carotenoid has been found in the cord blood and the mother’s blood during pregnancy and post-partum in breast milk and colostrum.
These levels directly reflect dietary intake of lutein by the mother. Lutein is found in the retina and the brain, and therefore a highly beneficial nutrient for the baby’s visual and neural development.
Prenatal may be a useful dietary adjunct for women looking to supplement a healthy diet during pregnancy and lactation.
2 Vegetarian Capsules Contain:
- Vitamin A (as natural beta carotene) – 5000 I.U.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) – 80 mg
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) – 800 I.U.
- Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate) – 50 I.U.
- Thiamine (as thiamine mononitrate) – 1.5 mg
- Riboflavin – 1.7 mg
- Niacinamide – 20 mg
- Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxine HCl) – 2 mg
- Folate (as L-methylfolate, Metafolin) – 800 mcg
- Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) – 10 mcg
- Biotin – 300 mcg
- Pantothenic acid – 10 mg (as calcium pantothenate)
- Calcium (citrate) – 150 mg
- Iron (as Ferronyl) – 27 mg
- Iodine (potassium iodine) – 150 mcg
- Magnesium (citrate) – 75 mg
- Zinc (citrate) – 10 mg
- Selenium (selenomethionine) – 75 mcg
- Copper (copper glycinate chelate) – 1 mg
- Manganese (citrate) – 1 mg
- Chromium (GTF) – 150 mcg
- Molybdenum (chelate) – 75 mcg
- Lutein (from marigold flower) – 3 mg
Other ingredients: Cellulose, vegetable stearate, silica
Pregnant or Lactating women take 2 capsules daily with meals or as directed by one of our health coach professionals.
No adverse side effects have been reported.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct light. Keep out of reach of children.