Table of Contents
Basic Minerals (Iron free)
Basic Minerals, from Douglas Laboratories, is a comprehensive mineral/trace element formula. BM contains patented mineral amino acid chelates from Albion Laboratories and other well tolerated and highly absorbable mineral forms.
BM is iron-free, making it an appropriate choice for those concerned about getting too much iron but who want to supplement with a full-spectrum of other minerals and trace elements.
Minerals play a variety of essential roles throughout the body. Some of the primary roles of each mineral include:
- Calcium is a principal mineral constituent of bones and is thus essential for strong bones.
- Magnesium is involved in energy metabolism, and is notably important in the heart, skeletal muscles, and nervous system.
- Iodine is necessary for the synthesis of thyroxin, the thyroid hormone that regulates the body’s metabolic rate.
- Zinc is important for growth, immune system function, protein synthesis, antioxidant mechanisms, and wound healing.
- Selenium is an essential cofactor of glutathione peroxidase, a potent antioxidant.
- Copper regulates iron metabolism and activates superoxide dismutase, a powerful endogenous antioxidant.
- Manganese is essential for antioxidant systems in the body, bone growth, fat metabolism, and protein, nucleic acid, and cartilage synthesis.
- Chromium is required for normal blood sugar and lipid metabolism; it is an integral component of glucose tolerance factor (GTF).
- Molybdenum is involved in copper and iron transport, nucleic acid synthesis, and sulfur metabolism.
- Potassium is involved in normal muscle tone, nerve function, and many enzymes.
- Vanadium is active in lipid and glucose metabolism.
- Boron is involved in steroid hormone metabolism, cell membrane stability, and bone health.
Basic Minerals may be used by individuals who want to supplement with a complete array of minerals and trace elements. Individuals who already take a Douglas Laboratories multiple vitamin-mineral-trace element supplement do not generally need additional minerals.
Six capsules contain:
- Calcium (as calcium citrate) – 400 mg
- Iodine (from kelp) – 150 mcg
- Magnesium (as magnesium aspartate and magnesium amino acid chelate**) – 400 mg
- Zinc (as zinc amino acid chelate**) – 20 mg
- Selenium (as selenium amino acid complex) – 200 mcg
- Copper (as copper amino acid chelate**) – 2 mg
- Manganese (as manganese amino acid chelate**) – 20 mg
- Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate***) – 200 mcg
- Molybdenum (as molybdenum amino acid chelate**) – 150 mcg
- Potassium (as potassium chloride) – 99 mg
- Vanadium (as vanadyl sulfate) – 39 mcg
- Boron (as boron aspartate-citrate) – 2 mg
Three capsules twice daily with food, or as directed by one of our health coach professionals.
No adverse side effects have been reported.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct light. Keep out of reach of children.